Civil Services Examination
Civil Services Examination is a competitive Exam conducted on a national level by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) for recruitment of candidates in various Civil Services of the government of India. The Civil Services include:
Note:- To join SSC Coaching in Chandigarh Send us a Call Back request.
All India Service (Group A)
- Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
- Indian Forest Services (IFoS)
- Indian Police Services (IPS)
Central Service (Group A)
- Indian Foreign Service (IFS)
- Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS)
- Indian Corporate Law Service (ICLS)
- Indian Defense Accounts Service (IDAS)
- Indian Defense Estates Service (IDES)
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service (IA&AS)
- Indian Information Service (IIS)
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service (IOFS)
- Indian Post & Telecommunication Accounts and Finance Service (IP&TAFS)
- Indian Postal Service (IPoS)
- Indian Railway Accounts Service (IRAS)
- Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS)
- Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS)
- Indian Revenue Service (IRS-IT)
- Indian Revenue Service (IRS-C&CE)
- Indian Trade Service (ITrS)
- Railway Protection Force (RPF)
The Civil Services started at the time of the British Raj and that time it was called the Imperial Civil Services. Civil Services are considered the most elite level of Government job in India and because of that a lot of candidates appear for the Civil Services Exam every year. The exam which is conducted by the UPSC is conducted in 2 stages – The preliminary and mains which is then followed by an interview.
- Citizens of India, Nepal and Bhutan are eligible.
- If the candidate is of Indian origin and has migrated from the following countries to permanently settle in India then he/she is eligible (Ethiopia, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Pakistan, Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Zaire or Zambia)
The Candidate should be of minimum 21 and maximum 32 years of age. Relaxation is given in following cases:
- The candidates belonging to Scheduled Tribe (SC) or Scheduled Cast (SC) are given 5 years of relaxation on upper age limit.
- In case of ECO’s and SSCO’s 5 years of relaxation is given on the upper age limit.
- If the candidate has been domiciled in Jammu and Kashmir between 1st January, 1980 and 31stDecember 1989 the relaxation is of 5 years.
- 10 years in case of Physical Disability (PwD)
- For other backward classes (OBC) the relaxation is 3 years.
- 3 years for Defense Service Personnel.
- The candidate should have a degree or any equivalent qualification recognized by the government of India.
- The candidate who have passed the final exam of MBBS but is yet to complete an Internship can also apply.
Number of Attempts:
- For general category candidates – 6 attempts
- For SC/ST candidates – No limit
- For OBC candidates – 9 attempts.
The Exam consist of two parts the preliminary and the Mains. On the basis of the score on mains the candidate will then be called for the interview.
The Preliminary Exam:
The question in the preliminary exam will be objective type (MCQ’s)
There is a negative penalty of 33% for every wrong answer
|1 – General studies||100||200||2 hours|
|2- Aptitude||80||200||2 hours|
The Mains Exam
There are two qualifying exams:
First qualifying exam is from one of the Indian Languages selected by the candidate and is of 300 Marks.
The second qualifying exam is of English Language and is also of 300 Marks.
|Paper 4||General Studies -1||250|
|Paper 5||General Studies-2||250|
|Paper 6||General Studies-3||250|
|Paper 7||General Studies-4||250|
|Paper 8||Optional Subject -1||250|
|Paper 9||Optional Subject- 2||250|
The personal interview is conducted for those candidates who have qualified their mains Exam.
Total Marks- 275
With almost around 5 lakh students applying for the exam only 1000 get into the rank list. With a success rate of less than half a percent, it is really important that the candidate gets the best coaching. We here at AAA Bright academy make sure that our students get the best coaching thereby increasing their chances of clearing the Civil Services Exam.