Punjab Civil Service
Just like the India Civil Service the state of Punjab also have their own Civil Services called the Punjab Civil Service. There are a number of posts in the Punjab civil services and every year the Punjab Public Service Commission conducts the PCS exam for the appointment of candidates to these posts. These are the posts available in PCS:
- Labour and Conciliation officer
- Block Development and Panchayat officer
- Excise and Taxation officer
- District Probation officer / Deputy Superintendent of Jail (Grade II)
- Deputy Superintendent of Police
- Executive branch of Punjab Civil Services
Note:- To join PCS Coaching in Chandigarh Send us a Call Back request.
Eligibility for Punjab Civil Services Exam:
- The candidates applying for PCS exam must be a Citizen of India or Nepal or Bhutan
- If the candidate is of Indian origin and has migrated from the following countries to permanently settle in India then he/she is eligible (Ethiopia, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Pakistan, Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Zaire or Zambia)
- The candidates who are not a citizen of India but belong to the upper categories must have a certificate of eligibility, issued by the government of Punjab in the Department of Home Affairs and Justice.
The candidates applying for PCS exam should be between 21 and 38 years of age.
- In case of Punjab Prison Service and Punjab Police Service the maximum age limit will be 27 years.
- If the candidate is of Scheduled Cast, Scheduled Tribe and any other backward classes of Punjab then the relaxation 5 years is given in the upper age limit.
- For Punjab government employees with at least 4 years of service, the upper age limit is 45 years
- The upper age limit is relaxed to 40 years for widows, divorcees and other categories of women of Punjab.
- If the age of an Ex- serviceman of Punjab domicile is reduced by their years of service and falls between the above mentioned limit then the Ex-serviceman is eligible for PCS Exam
- The candidate must have passed Punjabi of metric or its equivalent by the time of applying for the Exam.
- The candidate must be holding a bachelor’s degree form a recognized college or University.
- If the candidate is in his/her final year and will finish the degree by the time of the examination, then also the candidate is eligible for the examination provided he/she provides the proof of getting the degree.
- For general category – 4 attempts
- For scheduled cast/ scheduled tribe – no limit
- For ex-serviceman quota- 3 attempts
PCS Exam Pattern
The Exam consist of two parts the preliminary and the Mains. On the basis of the score on mains the candidate will then be called for the interview.
The question in the preliminary exam will be objective type (MCQ’s)
There is a negative penalty of 33.33% for every wrong answer
|1 – General studies||100||250||2 hours|
|2- Aptitude test||80||200||2 hours|
The mains will be consisting of 9 written tests of 1000 marks in total including the interview.
|Paper 2||Punjabi (Gurmukhi script)||100|
|Paper 3||Essay (Hindi or Punjabi)||100|
|Paper 4||General Studies-1||100|
|Paper 5||General Studies-2||100|
|Paper 6||Optional Subject -1 (Exam 1)||100|
|Paper 7||Optional Subject- 1 (Exam 2)||100|
|Paper 8||Optional Subject- 2 (Exam1)||100|
|Paper 9||Optional Subject- 2(Exam 2)||100|
The candidate has to obtain 45% aggregate and at least 33% in each subject in order to appear for Interview. Cut off may change in case of a difficult Exam.
Although the success rate of Punjab Civil service is much larger than the Indian Civil Service, but still without appropriate coaching and mentorship even PCS is a tough nut to crack. We here at AAA Bright academy make sure that our students are able to crack PCS and other examinations by providing them with top class education and mentorship.